Why Reddit Changed Their Approach to Spam

Willard Robel

Reddit has a massive achilles heel - the entire business model relies on unpaid moderators working everyday.

Last Summer a significant amount of moderators rebelled. The unhappy mods closed down subs, or deleted content, or took subs private, or switched subs to nsfw all of which caused a big hit to the advertising business model. Reddit admins know they need to become less reliant on volunteer mods.

Reddit admins have introduced machine learning to identify and remove spam/free promotion. They look for patterns. Same URLs used by banned accounts, same phrases in reported posts, same IP addresses associated with banned accounts, etc. Wouldn't be surprised if certain subreddits have become honeypots - like posting too often in known karma farming subs and your account will become suspect.

This reduced the workload for the volunteer mods so they will be less angry and less likely to rebel. Makes it easier for Reddit to replace any veteran mod with a user with no prior moderating experience. This is about taking control away from mods and giving it back to the admins so Reddit isn't vulnerable to another mod rebellion.

Read the modnews subreddit and you will know what mods know. You will see they have been kept in the dark with much of the recent spam changes BHW has spotted.

You can still profit from Reddit but it is much harder and will be even harder soon. You want to appear as much like a typical human as possible. Avoid things that might be caught by AI looking at spam patterns.

Jacques Kirlin

I did a thread on this 2 weeks ago

Reddit is planning on taking mods completely out of the spam moderation business

any spam reports will go direct to the ADMINS. mods will not be allowed to approve spam anymore

this means no longer undrhanded stalth spammers controlling big subs since they have no control on if its deleted by admins

i got your pm on the home connection stuff. i got banned doing that though which has worked for years so seems reddit has tightened that too

not giving any tips out to anyone though anymore everyone is now on their own so no one pm me