How to choose a domain for fast SEO promotion

Cyril O'Kon

Hi. I would be grateful if you could share your experience: what should I pay attention to when selecting a domain?

A little bit about my unfortunate experience:
I have a .com domain, which I bought from a large domain registrar (like namecheap, godaddy), who sold it with a small markup, about 50-80 USD. At that moment I did not know about the existence of SEO - I was only interested in a beautiful name. Domain owns about a year and a half. I have about 20 links from forums specializing in the topic of the site, also have 4000 target unique visits on site metrics, 2000 on cloudflare metrics, but the domain is even poorly searched for the search query "blackhatworld.com" (instead of bhw, my domain).

I blame it on:
a) domain history: the domain was first registered in 2018, the site ran for half a year, after which the owner scamed $50 and the victim wrote 2 threads on bitcointalks and one forum on the subject of the site. In each thread about 20 detailed answers why the victim is a fool and the site owner is "not a good person".
b) the site was poorly optimized and has little unique content

Now thinking about moving to another domain, because, it's time to scale. Already found those who can implement me a well-optimized site and rewrite my articles under SEO, but I'm afraid that my old domain is blacklisted and it's all useless

UPD: This may be important. Since the first owner's domain went down in 2018, but since my purchase, the domain has been constantly changing hands from one domain reseller/registrator to another and each year the price has decreased and decreased.

Lysanne Kulas

OP: Just to make sure I get the picture, apart from what you've stated, are there other reasons why you are seeking a change in the domain? Using your analogy, if you search BHW on Google, it doesn't lead directly here, but there are several hundred keywords BHW is ranking for that enable the domain to rank on SERP.

Is your main objective to rank the branded keywords or general keywords that serve as traffic entry for the domain?