[Journey] Growing a niche website from scratch with Pinterest as a main traffic source. [Goal: 10m+ monthly Pinterest views]

Tania Mante

So, what do we have here? Yet another niche website journey thread.

Yada yada yada... BORING!

But but but...

What if I told you that I won't try to rank on Google, optimize for perfect SEO scores, write HeLpFuL content, and follow everything this bullshit company tells you explicitly NOT TO do but rewards the "blessed" ones that do the complete opposite of what they say?

Now, that seems a little more exciting, doesn't it?

You heard that right. I will be trying to grow the website by only concentrating on Pinterest.

Well, I might get lucky and hit Google Discover, but I definitely won't be actively pursuing it.

Let me try to explain my reasoning and why I decided to open this journey thread.

The Beginning of The End

Back in 2022, I started a niche website with the idea of monetizing it with display ads.

Things were going fairly well, and in February 2023, I was 2-3k sessions from Mediavine's 50k sessions requirement.

I was thrilled to move away from Ezoic after being stuck with them for almost a year...

Of course, I didn't expect a Google update to slash my traffic by 25-30% in the following days. The February 2023 product reviews update rolled out. Sadly, that's exactly what happened.

Screenshot 2024-01-09 123556.png

I tried everything I could to get back to 50k monthly sessions. As you can see, I was getting closer and closer, but then another n-number Google update would kick me in the balls.

I'm at an all-time low right now.

That's my little backstory on why I will no longer focus on search traffic from Google going forward.

The New Journey

So, you might be wondering: Why don't you use your existing website and grow it with Pinterest?

The answer is simple. Niche sucks for Pinterest. It's too male-oriented, and as we all know, the majority of Pinterest users are females.

That's why I decided to start a new website in a niche that is heavily searched by women but, at the same time, not too girly for me as, naturally, I'm a guy, lol.

I've seen the potential in women's fashion, lifestyle, and beauty, but I don't see myself writing about nails, makeup, and hair, if I have to be perfectly honest.

I know that Pinterest also has algo updates, bans, etc., but I'm willing to take the risk and go all in here.

The Present and Future

Anyway, enough rambling, here's what I've done so far:
Registered a short and brandable domain name
Set up Kadence as a theme
Customized the CSS and the majority of the theme settings to my liking
Made a logo with the help of Canva and Midjourney
Created the Pinterest profile
What I need to do, mostly in order:
Start doing keyword research on Pinterest
Decide on what categories I'll be covering
Cluster the content into categories on the site
Source images from places like Instagram(potential copyright issues?) and/or make them with Midjourney (need a lot to learn about prompting)
Start writing the actual content (duh) with the help of ChatGPT/GPT-4 API
Create pins with Canva
Create relevant Pinterest boards
Pin, pin, pin every day!
Later down the line, I might try to outsource some of the work, but for now, I'll be doing everything.

Monetization
Display ads (probably 90%+ of it)
Affiliate products (will try to get into higher paying programs than Amazon)
Possibly accept paid guest posts since I won't care if I get slapped by Google?
Goals
My short-term goal is to get into Mediavine.
The ultimate goal is to get to this level and maintain it, maybe earn $10k+ monthly, too, while we're at it :D
Screenshot 2024-01-09 132455.png

I will try to update this thread monthly and possibly whenever I reach a meaningful milestone (total pins, monthly impressions, traffic to my site, etc.)

I'm open to answering most questions you might have, EXCEPT ones related to my niche and domain name.

Dalton

Just remember to target Women interests with your site to fit Pinterest traffic + best of luck with it mate.