Made For advertising is under attack

Ephraim Zieme

It's not an exaggeration.

Effectively there are a couple of third parties actively selling blacklists to SSP (Supply Side Platform) and blocking sites/accounts detected as being Made For Advertising.

I am not sure if many users here run pure MFA sites or are even doing any kind of media arbitrage, but it seems things are getting more complex.

In my case, I had a couple of blogs that were running ad arbitrage. Most of these are now effectively useless after being blacklisted, so I'll need to adjust my strategy in order to get some money flowing back in.

Has anyone gone through something similar? If so, do you have any recommendations onto how to navigate this situation (and hopefully get my blogs back to profitability)?

My only idea right now is to rotate them to organic traffic based on keywords and the ol' SEO tricks I still have under my sleeve, but not sure that will be good enough to make up for the loss in revenue.

Any thoughts or input is appreciated!

Orrin Jaskolski

Effectively there are a couple of third parties actively selling blacklists to SSP (Supply Side Platform) and blocking sites/accounts detected as being Made For Advertising.

I am not sure if many users here run pure MFA sites or are even doing any kind of media arbitrage, but it seems things are getting more complex.

In my case, I had a couple of blogs that were running ad arbitrage. Most of these are now effectively useless after being blacklisted, so I'll need to adjust my strategy in order to get some money flowing back in.

Has anyone gone through something similar? If so, do you have any recommendations onto how to navigate this situation (and hopefully get my blogs back to profitability)?

My only idea right now is to rotate them to organic traffic based on keywords and the ol' SEO tricks I still have under my sleeve, but not sure that will be good enough to make up for the loss in revenue.

This is my first time of hearing this, though I don't do traffic arbitrage.

If the advertisers are getting conversions from the traffic, there shouldn't be any issues.

Ephraim Zieme

That was the prevailing opinion. However it seems that lately there has been some pressure to remove MFA from the mix and blacklists are actively being provided to SSP's.

Mind you, it's not all SSPs, however some of the major ones are taking this approach. I am thinking about options to survive this blacklist until the tide shifts or similar.

If you have any suggestions to restructure the 'business' I appreciate any input. For now, my plan is the one I posted: try to beef up organic SEO traffic via grey-ish stuff to try to offset the lost of revenue whilst removing add slots so that the UX in the sites is not flagged as MFA.

Hopefully that will get the sites removed from the blacklist eventually. When that happens I'll have more revenue on non MFA sites with a nice mix of organic traffic coming on. Is either that or attempt to supplement with affiliates (or maybe both).

Gaylord Rohan

I am looking specifically related to SEO, and website business. Neither binance or freelancing er passive.