[ YOUTUBE ] Journey to 100k subscribers, starting from scratch.

Janie Davis

I have started this Youtube journey a month or so ago, and I am starting to doubt myself so I decided to start a journey thread here, to keep track of my progress, to get some help from you guys, but also so I can get the ideas off my head by writing them down instead of leaving everything on my mind.

Background :
I have gotten into IM more than 10 years ago, tried different things while studying. I graduated as a civil engineer in 2016, and dropshipping was the trend back then, so I started dropshipping and done that for a couple of years. Then right before covid I moved to Sweden, used the covid time to study the language and get a different degree as a Machine Learning engineer. I am working as an ML engineer/Data Scientist now. About time to get back to do something online !

The Plan :
I want to grow a youtube channel in the storytelling niche, horror stories and all that stuff. I want to try different topics until I find something that feels good. I have started publishing on this channel about a month ago. My plan is to share stories, until I grow an audience that likes my storytelling style.

For the stories I do get most of them from Reddit or from I ask ChatGPT to suggest some interesting controversial real stories. I use my own voice, I try to keep everything human when it comes to sound. I use music from Artlist.io and for the video content I used some royalty free footage from pexels on the first 10 videos, but I started experimenting with other kinds of content for the last videos and shorts now.

I have published 11 long form videos + 4 shorts so far. My goal is to get this channel monetized then invest back everything I make into it by outsourcing as much as I can so I can make a lot more and better content.

I got inspired by some story channels in different languages that I follow ( mainly in french ), and I expected to get the same growth as they did, but to my disappointment, after 11 videos and 4 shorts, I have 7 subscribers only, 5 of which is 1 friend who decided to subscribe through his 5 channels, so I basically got 2 subscribers. It probably means that this niche is saturated, or that my content sucks, or both.

Here are the stats from the first 11 videos :

• Video 1 ( 10 min ) : 14 views
  • Video 2 ( 10 min ) : 18 views
  • Video 3 ( 12 min ) : 91 views <== got my hopes up like crazy
  • Video 4 ( 11 min ) : 42 views
  • Video 5 ( 16 min ) : 3 views <== got me depressed
  • Video 6 ( 17 min ) : 1 views
  • Video 7 ( 9 min ) : 3 views
  • Video 8 ( 10 min ) : 62 views
  • Video 9 ( 8 min ) : 0 views
  • Video 10( 9 min ) : 35 views
  • Video 11( 14 min ) : 21 views

The shorts on the other hand are getting 300-500 views

I am planning on putting 3 hours of work every morning into the channel. What takes a lot of time for me is getting the scripts ready. I want to get to a point where I don't need a script, but it will take some practice as I am not a native english speaker ( english is my 3rd language, and I speak 5 ).

What I could use some help with is tips on how to speed up this whole process ? Promote the channel ? Maybe the cash cow techniques if they are still working ? Or growing AI influencer IGs and using that to promote the channel on IG ? Or is all of this too much work and putting that effort into the content and improving its quality is a better way of investing my time and $$$ ?

I could use all the help I can get ! And I will keep this thread updated.

I will try to update you guys everytime I publish a new video.

Leilani Koepp

I have started this Youtube journey a month or so ago, and I am starting to doubt myself so I decided to start a journey thread here, to keep track of my progress, to get some help from you guys, but also so I can get the ideas off my head by writing them down instead of leaving everything on my mind.

Background :
I have gotten into IM more than 10 years ago, tried different things while studying. I graduated as a civil engineer in 2016, and dropshipping was the trend back then, so I started dropshipping and done that for a couple of years. Then right before covid I moved to Sweden, used the covid time to study the language and get a different degree as a Machine Learning engineer. I am working as an ML engineer/Data Scientist now. About time to get back to do something online !

The Plan :
I want to grow a youtube channel in the storytelling niche, horror stories and all that stuff. I want to try different topics until I find something that feels good. I have started publishing on this channel about a month ago. My plan is to share stories, until I grow an audience that likes my storytelling style.

For the stories I do get most of them from Reddit or from I ask ChatGPT to suggest some interesting controversial real stories. I use my own voice, I try to keep everything human when it comes to sound. I use music from Artlist.io and for the video content I used some royalty free footage from pexels on the first 10 videos, but I started experimenting with other kinds of content for the last videos and shorts now.

I have published 11 long form videos + 4 shorts so far. My goal is to get this channel monetized then invest back everything I make into it by outsourcing as much as I can so I can make a lot more and better content.

I got inspired by some story channels in different languages that I follow ( mainly in french ), and I expected to get the same growth as they did, but to my disappointment, after 11 videos and 4 shorts, I have 7 subscribers only, 5 of which is 1 friend who decided to subscribe through his 5 channels, so I basically got 2 subscribers. It probably means that this niche is saturated, or that my content sucks, or both.

Here are the stats from the first 11 videos :

• Video 1 ( 10 min ) : 14 views
  • Video 2 ( 10 min ) : 18 views
  • Video 3 ( 12 min ) : 91 views <== got my hopes up like crazy
  • Video 4 ( 11 min ) : 42 views
  • Video 5 ( 16 min ) : 3 views <== got me depressed
  • Video 6 ( 17 min ) : 1 views
  • Video 7 ( 9 min ) : 3 views
  • Video 8 ( 10 min ) : 62 views
  • Video 9 ( 8 min ) : 0 views
  • Video 10( 9 min ) : 35 views
  • Video 11( 14 min ) : 21 views

The shorts on the other hand are getting 300-500 views

I am planning on putting 3 hours of work every morning into the channel. What takes a lot of time for me is getting the scripts ready. I want to get to a point where I don't need a script, but it will take some practice as I am not a native english speaker ( english is my 3rd language, and I speak 5 ).

What I could use some help with is tips on how to speed up this whole process ? Promote the channel ? Maybe the cash cow techniques if they are still working ? Or growing AI influencer IGs and using that to promote the channel on IG ? Or is all of this too much work and putting that effort into the content and improving its quality is a better way of investing my time and $$$ ?

I could use all the help I can get ! And I will keep this thread updated.

I will try to update you guys everytime I publish a new video.
Good luck with your journey .