Struggle to find topic ideas & motivation writing for myself

Thompson

I'm kind of stuck at the moment. I feel like I need someone to set me assignments because I just don't know where to begin writing content for my own portfolio.

I feel kind of stupid now I'm writing this but I wondered if anyone had any advice. If I am working for someone and have a set topic and know what's expected, I don't have any problem. But for myself I'm finding it really hard to get to work and write.

When I have ideas I have a lot but then I don't know where to start. It's really getting to me. If you're a writer who writes content for yourself, how have you overcome this type of issue?

Thanks for your help and please try not to give me too much of a hard time for being daft

Alexis

offer free demo writing for other people. take inspiration off what you've written previously in future work.

Hyatt

I know exactly how you feel. I tried writing random shit to make a portfolio but lost all motivation when I opened google docs to type. Writing for yourself can feel a little useless.

So I hosted a few giveaways here on bhw to overcome that feeling of uselessness. I suggest you do the same. Go in the freebies/giveaway section and post a thread for a giveaway. Start small, I started by writing a couple of 500 word articles in each giveaway.

And be sure to ask the mods to close the thread when all the spots are taken as people don't stop spamming 'interested'.