6 Ways To Motivate Yourself To Write - Even When You're Not "Feeling Like" It

Margret

Don’t you often feel drained when drafting a piece of writing? I can feel you. Writing is a very manual job. One character at a time, building a word. One word at a time, building sentences.‌ Then comes paragraphs, followed by a page full of the 2,000-word article.‌ Simply put - the mountain size work can get demotivating and intimidating at times.

And that’s exactly our topic of today. We will discuss some ways you can supercharge your writing motivations. So without further ado, let's go:

1) Watch Motivational Videos On YouTube

If you think motivational videos are cliche, I will not convince you otherwise. In fact, some people have a bad impression of such speeches. These people are putting discipline above motivation, and there’s nothing wrong with that too. Discipline is inevitable.

But here’s my take – motivational videos are effective to give you hope. It can pump you up and make you work for hours on end. Even though the effect may last only a few hours, why not use that boost every single day? It’s only for the better, right?

Here, you need to play smart. The same motivational video won’t be as effective on the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th day. So keep introducing newness to your brain. Since YouTube is exploding with such videos, don’t worry about not finding enough new content.

You can pick a group of people to listen to. My first vote goes to Gary Vaynerchuk.‌ Seriously – this guy is breathing fire. David Goggins can help too. Just pick a few, and make sure to change it up from time to time.

If you continue to follow this rule, you will be pushing yourself into discipline. Once your discipline is down, chances are you won’t even need these videos. You’ll do fine without the motivation dosages. But building that discipline is the hardest part.

But if you manage to master discipline, even on days you don’t feel motivated to work, your discipline will take over and get the job done. Remember – you don’t need to ‘feel like’ doing it, do it anyways.

2)‌ Read 5 Pages Of A Book

Reading has helped me a lot with my motivations. Besides educating me, it helps me replace ‘low state thoughts’ with positive powerful perspectives. What's more, reading helps supercharge your brain with words. And such reading sessions get your creative juices flowing too.

If you are not a habitual reader, you can start with only 2 pages. In a week, turn that into 5, or a chapter to round things off. As long as it refreshes your mind, and doesn't become an excuse to procrastinate, you're well on your way.

I tend to read philosophy, psychology, self-help and motivational. I've seen motivational content helps a lot to get moving. I mean - how can I not get pumped by reading how Muhammad Ali started from the bottom and made it to the mountain peak?

That said, don't just limit yourself to books. You can read articles on your favorite topics too. As long as they are informative, you're well on your way. But stay away from humor because it relaxes you, and promotes the lethargic behavior.

Further, your reads don't have to be rocket science manuals. Pick subjects that lift your spirit and dig right in.

3) Watch A Documentary

If you prefer watching over reading, documentaries are for you. And as long as you are consuming quality content that refreshes your mind, you're set.

When watching documentaries, you hear people speak and your brain gets engaged and active. That should explain why we're more aware in groups, and mind wanderers when alone. Simply put - documentaries stir your brain out of laziness. Thus, making writing much easier for you.‌‌

However, you'll want to keep your selections 15 to 20 minutes long. Else, you'll end up dropping a lot of mental energy, which again can haul you back to the uninspired state.

For documentary sources, I prefer you to start with Bloomberg and National Geography.‌ However, don't let me stop you from something you find interesting, just because I didn't prefer the channel.

And a caution - don't consider news to be knowledge here. News is temporary information and can spike your stress. I want you to stick to solid evergreen information.

4)‌‌ Meditate

Yes, you just heard that right. You need to shave your head and become a monk in the freezing temperatures of the peaks of Himalayas. For inspiration. To write.

Okay, that was a bad joke. And if you agree my jokes are bad, I won't tell you otherwise. Maybe I will watch some more Bill Burr comedy and memorize some sentences. Anyways - the point is - meditating can help you sort out your ruffled mind.

I’ve meditated in the past and can tell it is amazing to attain mental clarity and cognitive control of your mind. While not my favorite or most effective strategy for eradicating procrastination, scientific studies show it helps with motivation levels.

You see, procrastination has a lot to do with clarity. Once you have the exact steps you need to walk, you can start to walk that path.

I've always done guided meditation. And they seem to be in full swing nowadays. If you want to try out, you can find them on SoundCloud.

You can also grab the HeadSpace app subscription if you want. The voice they use is calming. the instructions are lucid. And the graphics compliment the entire environment. They often add new meditations too, single and in courses.

YouTube is your friend too.

5) Listen To Podcasts

Podcasts also help you engage your brain and fight procrastination. If you're slouching before a writing session, why you dive into a 15-minute podcast to get your brain pumping?

You can pick any topic of your choice - psychology, motivational, entrepreneurship, mindset - are to name a few.

If you want to know my favorites, they are The GaryVee Audio Experience and Joe Rogan Experience. they've been in this for a long time, and you'll never run out of quality things to hear.

And since you can play them in the background when working, it makes them a breeze to carry anywhere.

Once the podcast is finished, jump straight to work. The momentum of your brain will shift from engaging to creating.

6) Exercise To Get Your Endorphins Pumping

You can choose to walk, jog, or to lift weights - anything you find suitable. The point is - you need to challenge your body physically.

Any type of physical exercise introduces discipline to your body and releases the endorphins in your brain, which help you slash down stress, and skyrocket happiness. That way, you can approach writing with a clear mind.

Plus, human bodies are not designed to be in the same place for hours on end. It craves movement.

Personally, I run from one end to another of my apartment for 10 - 20 minutes. Sometimes I also do some wall push-ups (can't pull off the ground ones, YES, I'm fat). I even parade from one end of the house to another. The point is - you need to activate your physical and mental energy through physical exertion.

Once done, jump on your computer and start writing. You will feel an unique sense of aliveness.

And Lastly - GO DO

With all that said, if you don't apply the techniques, then we've both wasted our time. Pick one move, apply it and see how it eliminates the lethargic, uninspired you. One brick at a time.

So what's the wait for?

The empty sheets are awaiting your arrival.

Go do your magic.

Bruen

Nothing better than a Vegeta motivational video before work or study.

Kadin

Great post. I get a lot of inspiration here on BHW. This post and especially some of the journey posts get me fired up. I also really like Deepak Chopra. I was listening to one of his audio tapes today and he talked about giving to receive. I'm going to write a series of free short informational ebooks with a simple link to my website in the header. Nothing salesy with this. We'll see.

Schuppe

The boost you get from those motivational videos ends at the minute the beat stops. :D

Percival

I think for every person the thing that helps in writing is different but it is always from one of the 6 points that you mentioned. I have tried exercising, reading and watching videos. All these have helped me but one thing I would like to add in the category of reading is to read the work of someone who inspires you. That gets the pen moving every time.