how hard is it to set up your own membership site

uigley

HI

I'm looking at setting up my own membership site,one that actually works,I don't know what kind of site yet still thinking of ideas
just wandering how to set up and how hard is it to get started

diso

You can get plugins to run the payment/backend side of things.

As for getting started, think about a unique angle on something very popular, and create an info product/resource/forum etc on that topic.

Or, the lazier version, create a single product, and upsell membership products from others, leading to monthly affiliate income.

enow V

Depends on what your membership site is about, how much time you are looking to put in and how you promote it. The BIGGEST thing to keep in mind, in my opinion, is to offer real value so people actually want to participate. Good luck! :)

Ransom

I did an education based membership site for a client a little while back. Everything done in Wordpress. It's not that hard to set up because Wordpress is made for members by default anyways. Your two big options depending on which way you want to go are:

1. vBulletin if you want a forum

or

2. Wordpress, if you want a more personal blog feel to your site

Then, all you need to do is target every longtail keyword possible in your niche, get relative search engine traffic, maybe even run some paid ads, and wait for the members to flow in.

You'll get yourself a nice targeted email list in the process. AKA Profit.

Good luck!