Armani Cooper
New member
- Joined
- Sep 28, 2026
- Messages
- 1
- Points
- 1
TL;DR: Vega is replacing the old Fire OS experience on newer Fire TV devices, but the existing Android/Fire OS streaming apps don't simply work on it. That leaves a big gap in the market for developers who build native streaming and media-player apps for Vega. I'm building a legitimate IPTV/media player for Vega to see if I can fill part of that gap (everyone is going crazy to stream from m3u urls amazon has blocked everything).
I think Amazon may have accidentally created a pretty interesting opportunity for developers. The new Fire TV Stick 4K Select uses Vega OS, which is completely different from the older Fire OS/Android platform. Existing Android/Fire OS apps don't simply carry over, and the traditional sideloading experience isn't available in the same way. This is especially interesting for streaming, because many of the IPTV and media-player apps people have used for years on Fire OS aren't available on Vega. I've been seeing people on Reddit discovering this after buying the new devices, with some even saying they returned them. I've registered as a developer and bought a Vega Fire TV Stick so I can build and test on the real hardware. My first project is a proper IPTV/media player where users can connect their own legitimate services and playlists. Vega uses a different architecture based around React Native, and Amazon is providing new developer tools, including support for AI coding tools like Cursor. So there's a new platform, an existing Fire TV audience, and a big gap in the streaming app ecosystem. I'm going to see if I can build something useful for it.
The best part is that its connected to Amazon payments, therefore it will be very easy to get someone fully setup with payment through the app (a one click thing).
I think Amazon may have accidentally created a pretty interesting opportunity for developers. The new Fire TV Stick 4K Select uses Vega OS, which is completely different from the older Fire OS/Android platform. Existing Android/Fire OS apps don't simply carry over, and the traditional sideloading experience isn't available in the same way. This is especially interesting for streaming, because many of the IPTV and media-player apps people have used for years on Fire OS aren't available on Vega. I've been seeing people on Reddit discovering this after buying the new devices, with some even saying they returned them. I've registered as a developer and bought a Vega Fire TV Stick so I can build and test on the real hardware. My first project is a proper IPTV/media player where users can connect their own legitimate services and playlists. Vega uses a different architecture based around React Native, and Amazon is providing new developer tools, including support for AI coding tools like Cursor. So there's a new platform, an existing Fire TV audience, and a big gap in the streaming app ecosystem. I'm going to see if I can build something useful for it.
The best part is that its connected to Amazon payments, therefore it will be very easy to get someone fully setup with payment through the app (a one click thing).